Thursday, June 23, 2011

Review: The Face Shop Smile Foot Peeling

BEWARE: IF YOU ARE SQUEAMISH ABOUT FEET DO NOT READ!
I realized that the past few posts have been mainly haul blogs and I haven't done a review in awhile. I know I always say I will review things but at the end of the day, I never get around to actually doing it! So I thought I would do a review before I do my IMATS haul (oh yes, I am going to IMATS, the Interntional Makeup Artist Trade Show!)
When I went to Korea, peeling was all the rage. Most of the products were face peeling products (for exfoliation.) I made a post about the peeling products before; you rub your face with this product until little "skin" comes peeling off. Even though my skin does get softer, upon closer inspection, these "skin" don't look like dead skin at all and so I am completely skeptical of these peeling gels.
So when I saw foot peeling masks, I was expecting it to be very much the same. You soak your foot and the rub fake skin off... what's the harm is trying?! So I bought one foot peeling mask from The Face Shop for a little less than $7.
The Face Shop foot peeling mask.
So when I got back to the hotel, I made my sister do one foot and I did one foot so that I could compare with my unpeeled foot to see if there was any difference. I can't read Korean but from the instructions, I could tell that we are suppose to soak our feet for 60-90 minutes. Then, I thought that we were suppose to wash it off and the skin would "peel" off.
The liquid smelled super alcoholic and probably isn't good for feet. It stung when I put my foot in it. After soaking for 90 minutes, my sister and I proceeded to wash our feet off and.... nothing happened. I was like WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY! I went back to the store and found a store clerk who spoke Chinese and demanded to know why nothing happened (well not really demanded, just asked politely.) She informed me that my foot should start peeling in three to four days later. Yeah... right I thought.
So then I returned back to the US and told my mom about the foot peeling, she said, "I bet they said three to four days because they knew you were probably leaving soon and so you can't go and complain that nothing happened." I agreed, what a waste of money i thought! Until four days later...
I started to notice after I showered that my foot started looking like it was diseased... then it all started. My skin started to peel off like CRAZY. The WHOLE bottom of my foot just peeled profusely and the dead skin would just fall off as I walked. I found dead skin in my bed, in my shoe, on my sofa... you get the idea... IT WAS NASTY! This continued for AT LEAST 7 days... 7 DAYS of dead skin in my bed.
Compare left and right food. I did the peeling on the right foot.
Up close of the nasttyyy.
Yeah, I think these pictures speak for themselves. I will have to say, my foot did soften significantly after the peeling process was done. Even now, a month later, I can still feel the difference. That being said, it didn't soften my foot as much as I thought it would. Although during the peeling process the new soft skin was revealed, that skin started turning more tough almost instantly. This could be because my feet were ridiculously dry/ cracked so maybe I have to do the mask a few more times. I still have two of the masks, however, I am not sure if I would be willing to suffer through that experience again :P I can say definitively though, your foot will peel! So if you are interested in peeling away your old foot skin, this product might be for you (but be careful as I don't know what sort of chemicals are in it!)

14 comments:

  1. When did you use it? It look me around 4 days after I used it before it started to peel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had use this product ady,but nothing happen? So,wat shud I do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi, i also bought some from korea, but after i used two days, my feet was very itchy and red ! did u have any uncomfortable feelings? >,<

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! It definitely burned while I was soaking it in the solution and that was very uncomfortable! I didn't feel any itching afterward but, I wouldn't be surprised if you did. I think this is very potent and can definitely irritate sensitive skin. Also, when your skin is peeling, make sure not to touch it and let it peel on its own. If you try to peel it, you might peel some healthy layers and then that really hurts!!

    I actually have two more of these peeling foot masks but I am not sure if I want to use it =/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, found this blog by accident as i was looking for review for this foot exfoliating mask.

    Maybe i could recommend that after your use of the foot mask, you could consider using a moisturising gel sock.

    There are also other kinds of foot mask available, as The Face Shop type are the 1 use type, but there are those that are milder which require the use of 3 - 5 packs before the peeling takes effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! That sounds like a great recommendation. I have mix feelings about how intense the faceshop foot mask is. On one hand I like it becauce I know it really works. On the other hand, it scares me...

      Delete
  6. Oh, this is a product I cannot live without ...
    I live in the tropics, I always wear flip-flops and sandals and I'm always barefoot at home, so my feet is very very dry and rough ... Sometimes it got cracked, bleeding, I could barely walk ... I know, nasty ...
    Topical lotions and moisturizers were not enough for me so I was using a salycilic acid foot cream that would make the rough skin gradually peel but after a month of applying it every night ...
    When I found this product I had to give it a try. I did it the first time, with excellent results, and after two months I repeated the process. My feet are much softer, do not crack anymore and the skin is absorbing the moisturizers better since it is thinner.
    I will continue to use this product regularly, maybe every three or four months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing! The results were definitely an improvement to how my feet were but I never experienced peeling like that before... it scared me! I haven't had a chance to try it again since but think I may soon since the summer/ flip flops are making my feet very dry again :(

      Delete
  7. Hope it's okay on me. I'm now using it. Let's hope it's nit as scary as what chee sauce mention. I just back from Korea w lot of diff brand of foot peeling and moisture foot mask.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! Would love to know what you think after you try it :)

      Delete
  8. I found this review very helpful as I searched on thefaceshop site for English instructions but could not find any. I was just bought this as a gift from Korea and have gone for the "one foot first" option and as I type this comment, my left foot is undergoing the pleasure of soaking and I do have a slight burning sensation but it is not too strong.

    A little tip for others that read this in future when pouring the liquid from the sachet into the pouch that surrounds your foot, be careful not to let the liquid spill out as it is a little awkward. When I do the next foot I will squeeze the end of the sachet together before positioning in the pouch and then letting go so that the liquid doesn't spill out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HELP MY FOOT IS PEELING

    ReplyDelete
  10. love the post ! totally love the Korean fashion and makeup, especially because I live in Korea
    I’ve been blogging about beauty and food of Korea here, please drop by ^.^
    www.cunggie.com
    oh and my friends always ask me where to get stuff and now there’s finally a website !
    www.mootta.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I must say, I thought this was a pretty interesting read when it comes to this topic. Liked the material. . . akne inversa

    ReplyDelete